Wednesday, December 10, 2008

"It's Cairo. It's always the battery" and fleas and stuff





I'm blaming what is sure to be a really lame post on the fact that we're leaving for the airport in 3 hours, and we still need to go grocery shopping (which is a long, involved process here) and do so in a borrowed car, because it turns out ours is dead (when dh called the mechanic he said, "It's Cairo. It's always the battery."), and even though the mechanic actually came to our house after going to buy the new battery for us, it turns out something or other in the car is something something (I am a mechanical genius!) which means he has to come back tomorrow with different tools and another guy to help him.

Have I mentioned that I like run-on sentences? I really do.

So anyway, I found a good article on sparkpeople.com called Lose Weight Over the Holidays! (enthusiasm theirs). I don't think it has a whole lot of groundbreaking information, and most of the tips in it are likely things you've already heard or read, but it's worth reading anyway. For the same reason I like reading magazines and blogs about fitness and weightloss, I also like reading articles about fitness and weightloss, because it keeps me in a fitness-and-weightloss mindset. Reading things like this not only reminds me (have I told you that I have both the attention span and the memory of a flea?) about some of the tips and tricks that help me lose weight, but they also remind me that I actually want to lose weight. Sometimes I forget that. This is most likely to happen when I'm either doing really well with my diet and exercise or when I'm just kind of cruising, not losing but not gaining, and I convince myself that I'm just fine where I am, thank you very much. It's also been known to happen when I'm doing nothing but sitting on my duff and eating fried cheese and chocolate. Basically it happens a lot. But it becomes less likely to happen when I read magazines and articles and the like, because it keeps it closer to the forefront of my mind. And if anything is going to register in my consciousness enough to do any good, it needs to be as close to the forefront as possible.

2 comments:

Tiffany said...

Thanks for the link Sara. I ALWAYS need the extra reminder to stay on track, even if it is just extra information that I already know. Somehow reading it again and again helps me.

I passed up on the extra junk in the faculty lounge today. And I didn't eat any of the crap my kids brought from home for our class party. That is monumental for me. There are still some homemade cookies left sitting behind my desk, but I will be sure to get rid of them when my kids leave (and by getting rid of them I don't mean eating them!).

It's just food. It is not the end of the world if I don't eat it, and it is all stuff I have had before (in copious amounts).

Holly said...

Professor Tif-I am very proud of you for passing up the junk food today!